– Returning Y&R star David Tom revealed to TV Guide that the show actually made the actor audition for his old role, however he didn’t know it was his old role at the time: “I was in New York when they were holding auditions, so I put myself on tape and sent it in. The Billy recast was supposed to be a secret so they first told me I was auditioning for Paul’s son. I said, ‘Won’t that be kinda odd for me to come back to the show as someone different?’ And they were, like, ‘Naaah…don’t worry about it!’ [Laughs] Now we know why. They finally told me what was really going on the day before my screen test because they had to –it was a scene with Billy and Victoria (Amelia Heinle) talking about Delia.”
Cover your eyes Y&R fans – there’s an extreme spoiler alert regarding the Billy switch and what happens to Michael Muhney’s Adam. Continue at your own risk!
So how will David Tom ease into his former role? Or more importantly, how will Billy Miller and Michael Muhney exit the top-rated soap? I’m hearing the actors will exit the show together in scenes that will air on January 29 in Canada (airs Jan. 30 in the U.S.).
Once Billy finds out that Adam is responsible for his daughter Delia’s death, they’ll end up in a car and will fight over a gun. During the struggle, the car goes over a cliff. When Billy emerges from the wreckage on January 31 (in Canada; February 3 in the U.S.), he’ll look like David Tom.
Will Adam die? Probably not, don’t be surprised if we see Adam’s hand or something.
It’s a shame that the writing for the serial hasn’t improved as it’s recycling a couple of its former clichéd plots. Adam was presumed dead once before and it’s also reminiscent of when Dru (Victoria Rowell) and Sharon (Sharon Case) fell off that cliff with only Sharon resurfacing. At least Miller and Muhney are getting a better sendoff than what Michelle Stafford got (Phyllis fell down a flight of stairs).
While General Hospital has gone on location this past year, don’t expect The Young and the Restless to do so with these scenes. I’m also hearing that these scenes were shot at the studio.
So are viewers supposed to buy that Adam really did kill Delia? It seems that way for now. We can’t forget that Nikki (Melody Thomas Scott) was also seen driving that dark road the night Billy and Chloe’s (Elizabeth Hendrickson) daughter. Another suspect is Kelly Andrews (Cynthia Watros) as the name “Kelly White” appeared as one of the owners of the black SUV that was in the area of the accident. Many are speculating that Kelly Andrews and Kelly White are one and the same. But given that Watros has been well received, the writers could wait to re-write Delia’s killer once they decide to bring back the character of Adam Newman.
The rest of this week’s soap news:
– CBS has some great news for soap fans at TCA this week. They’ve renewed their entire daytime lineup, including The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful, for the 2014-2015 season. CBS also stated that Y&R has received a three-year pickup, keeping the Sony soap on the network until at least 2017.
– Former General Hospital star Nathan Parsons (ex-Ethan) will be quite busy. He’s been cast as the new James on True Blood next season, replacing Luke Grimes (Brothers & Sisters). Parsons will also recur on The Originals as Jackson, one of Haley’s (Phoebe Tonkin) werewolf acquaintances.
– Great ratings news for all four soaps continue this week with the networks celebrating the latest weekly figures. At CBS, The Young and the Restless delivered its best week since January 1, 2010 with 5.47 million viewers while The Bold and the Beautiful scored its largest audience since February 29, 2008 with 4.14 million viewers. NBC’s Days of our Lives reached its highest women 18-49 rating since November 21, 2011 when EJ (James Scott) hooked up with Abigail (Kate Mansi). As for ABC’s General Hospital, the soap reached an impressive 3.55 million viewers on Tuesday, January 7 (Nathan told Sam about Silas’ wife and Heather kidnapped Carly after her visit with Sonny) – the most-watched episodes since November 12, 2007 (the day Lucky found out Jason was baby Jake’s father and the other fallout from the infamous black and white ball).
– Don’t miss Orphan Black and former As the World Turns star Dylan Bruce on Lifetime’s Flowers in the Attic tomorrow at 8 p.m.
– Canuck Jennifer Finnigan (ex-Bridget, B&B) has become an American citizen.
– Ouch! GH’s Kelly Thiebaud (Britt) will soon be sporting a cast. The actress broke her wrist after falling off a skateboard. Fans will remember she cracked her femur bone last year and writers wrote it into the show when Frisco made her slip on some ice. The actress told Soaps in Depth that the show will work around her injury again.
– HLN has told Soaps in Depth that they currently have no plans to broadcast this year’s Daytime Emmy Awards telecast.
What’s coming up:
The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS/CTV Two): Wyatt asks Hope to move in with him.
Wyatt asks Hope to move in with him after Bill buys him a home. Ridge and Katie learn they have something in common. Hope turns to Rick for advice on her situation with Liam and Wyatt. Quinn interferes with Liam’s plan to meet with Hope. Quinn reminds Charlie of the consequences facing them if the truth about the jewellery heist is revealed. Maya receives an unexpected kiss from Oliver?!. Quinn befriends Pam over lunch. Katie and Brooke try to figure out where they each stand with Ridge. A marriage proposal is made.
Coronation Street (CBC): Is Michelle pregnant?
Peter urges Tina to stay in Weatherfield. Michelle feels tired and thinks she’s put on weight. Carla is furious when she finds a fight going on at the factory Could Michelle be pregnant? Roy is worried when Hayley admits that she has no appetite anymore. Gail’s presence hampers David and Kylie’s reunion. Liz urges Tina to make a clean break from Peter. Maria and Marcus start house-hunting. Carla wonders if Rob is responsible for Tina leaving and confronts him.
Days of our Lives (NBC/Global): Julie gets Hope to help look for Nick.
Nicole opens up to Eric while Roman and Marlena search for them. Brady decides to leave town. Abigail worries that Will suspects something. Meanwhile, Sami makes a decision about her relationship. Julie gets Hope to help look for Nick. Jordan and Rafe hang out with Lucas and Sheryl. Sami reaches out to EJ. Julia later shares her suspicions about Nick with Abigail. JJ gets Bev to help him with Theresa. Hope receives upsetting news about Ciara. Hope and Aiden (Daniel Cosgrove) clash over their children. Theresa takes advantage of Brady’s drunken state. Abigail wants to know if EJ killed Nick. Kate, Sami, Will and Sonny worry as Julie and Hope make it clear they’d like to speak with Gabi about Nick. Arianna’s christening ends with an unexpected turn of events.
General Hospital (ABC/City): Brad hooks up with Lucas.
Tracy sends Luke to the boathouse to investigate a noise. The controversial new Chief of Staff is announced. Felix apologizes to Sabrina. Kiki asks Franco about his fingerprints on the knife. Could Carly be rescued? Lulu and Dante share a moment. Nathan is running out of time with Silas’ case. Thinking things are over between him and Felix, Brad hooks up with Lucas. Julian corners Duke. Someone from Silas’ past reveals new information. Brad decides to reconcile with Felix just as Lucas asks him out.
The Young and the Restless (CBS/Global): Billy learns the truth about Adam.
Summer’s pill addiction hits close to home for Nikki. Dylan and Avery find themselves in dangerous territory. Lauren and Michael receive another package. Gloria brings in wedding planner David Tutera to help Neil and Leslie. Chelsea and Adam celebrate while Billy makes a shocking discovery: Adam killed Delia. Nikki’s worst nightmare becomes reality as Ian Ward arrives in Genoa City.