Is Elizabeth Hendrickson leaving Y&R? What’s coming up on DAYS when Abigail goes for her pregnancy test? Check out this week’s latest soap news.
– Could The Young and the Restless be losing another star? Actress Elizabeth Hendrickson may be exiting the soap as Chloe.
News of the beauty’s exit first surfaced Sunday night when TV Guide magazine’s Michael Logan tweeted that the actress has chosen not to renew her contract with the CBS soap. Meanwhile, Nelson Branco tweeted on his Soap Opera Uncensored account on Monday that the actress passed on contract negotiations, which means that she wants to leave.
Hendrickson first gained daytime fans for her portrayal as twins Maggie and Frankie Stone on All My Children from 2001 until 2007. The actress took on the role of Y&R’s Chloe Mitchell (who ended up being Esther’s (Kate Linder) grown up daughter Kate) in early 2008.
If Sony and CBS let the actress go, it would prove to be a real loss to the soap which has already suffered exits from popular cast members this past year including Michelle Stafford (Phyllis), Billy Miller (Billy) and Michael Muhney (Adam). The loss of Chloe Mitchell Fisher would also mean another exit from the dwindling (albeit extended) Chancellor family.
Although the story wasn’t well received by fans, Hendrickson performed very well in her recent storyline, which saw the tragic death of her and Billy’s daughter, Delia and this would mark the third actor in the front-burning storyline to leave the show (not counting the young actress playing Delia).
A vixen like Chloe was well received when the actress made her debut in 2008 but in recent years, many fans and critics have felt that the character was wasted in the Kevin (Greg Rikaart) and Chloe pairing and that Chloe should have stayed within Billy’s orbit despite the writers trying to first recapture the magic between Billy and a recast Mac (Clementine Ford) and the popular pairing with Victoria (Amelia Heinle). Many have also felt that Melissa Claire Egan’s Chelsea has sort of made Chloe’s character redundant.
The writers at Y&R had a perfect opportunity to boost Chloe’s story when Delia died. It could have pushed Billy and Chloe closer together and would have made so much more sense and had a bigger impact on the canvas if Billy sought comfort in Chloe’s arms instead of Kelly (Cynthia Watros), a brand new character. Instead, Chloe went the typical “insanity” route, kidnapping infant Connor Newman. So who could really blame Hendrickson for exploring her options?
I interviewed Hendrickson back in December 2012, you can check out that interview here.
Update: Hendrickson confirmed her departure with Soap Opera Digest on Thursday. Here’s the statement:
“You may have heard the rumor that I am leaving Y&R…and it is with a grateful heart that I wanted to tell you personally, my unbelievable fans, that the rumor is true. What does one say after a decade of the most amazing relationship? Let me start by saying THANK YOU. Thank you for standing by me and all of my characters in daytime over the many years. A big special thanks to the BAMers, Chilly’s, Clonan’s and Clovin fans. Your love and dedication has been unwavering. Even the most beautiful relationships need to go through changes in order for them to grow and evolve. This is where I find myself. I need to stretch my wings and fly into the unknown. The one thing that remains true and what I will hold close to my heart as I embark on this new adventure is that I will ALWAYS have you. If it weren’t for all of your love, support and faith in me as an actress I wouldn’t be able to make this bold move. Please know, this is not goodbye forever. This was a very amicable parting of ways. I will be working for a few more weeks and airing well into May. Y&R and especially Jill Farren Phelps made it very clear they did not want to see me go and plan to leave the door open for Chloe. I am beyond thankful for my career in daytime, the friends I have made along the way and especially for all of you. I hope to see you all soon. Lets keep in touch. Maybe in another medium or simply another time slot. Regardless. I’ll miss you. Love Lizzie.”
– Days of our Lives fans! I’m hearing that Sami (Alison Sweeney) will offer her support to Abigail (Kate Mansi) this Friday, March 14, when she offers to be there when she takes the pregnancy test. As for EJ (James Scott), he’s in a pretty dangerous place right now, literally and figuratively – on a ledge. That’s not all for Sami, look for her to also meet with Adrienne (Judi Evans) this week and shoot down her plan to talk Will (Guy Wilson) and Sonny (Freddie Smith) out of getting married. PS: There are a few more teasers below.
Don’t forget, Canadian fans living near Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver have the chance to meet DAYS stars Deidre Hall (Marlena), Drake Hogestyn (John), Lauren Koslow (Kate), Bryan Dattilo (Lucas), Kate Mansi (Abigail) and executive producer Greg Meng when they appear at local Chapters locations to promote Days of our Lives Better Living, the book filled with cast secrets on how they achieve balance while inspiring readers to do the same. Click here to find out how you can meet the stars at the singing in select cities on March 18 and 20.
– Former All My Children and As the World Turns star Cady McClain is set to take over the role of Kelly Andrews from Cynthia Watros on The Young and the Restless. A rep told TV Guide that Watros will shoot her final scenes on March 14 (last airing on April 16) while McClain begins taping March 26 and will first start airing on the April 23 Canadian episode. Watros has had to drop out of the recurring role after her MTV pilot, Finding Carter, was picked up.
– Joanna Johnson will return to The Bold and the Beautiful on April 16 and 17 as Karen Spencer. The talented star has been busy serving as writer and executive producer of ABC Spark (ABC Family in the US) series, The Fosters.
– Prospect Park, the company that was supposed to resurrect All My Children and One Life to Live for a lot more than a trial run, filed for bankruptcy. They also owe ABC $1.7 million and a bunch of other fees to guilds. Also of note: Erika Slezak (OLTL’s Viki) is owed $205,000 while co-star Tuc Watkins (David) is owed $60,000. Oh and they still plan to move ahead with that “mega soap” lawsuit against ABC.
– Josh Duhamel (ex-Leo, AMC; ex-Danny, Las Vegas) will star alongside Dean Winters (30 Rock) in Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan’s new CBS series, Battle Creek. House creator David Shore will also write (with Gilligan) while the series detective series will be directed by Bryan Singer.
– Two new hirings over at General Hospital according to Wubs.net, Lisa Lewolt has been cast as either one of Lucy’s daughters: Serena or Kristina’s. Meanwhile, Zachary Garred will return to Port Charles with Maxie (Kirsten Storms). Could Garred play Sly Eckhert? Would make since since Anthony Geary has to be playing Bill Eckhert and not Luke Spencer, right?
– The latest General Hospital promo featuring primetime soap icon Donna Mills has dropped. Check it out!
What’s coming up:
The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS/CTV Two): Quinn confronts Aly on the bridge.
Quinn and Wyatt worry that Aly is a threat to their jobs at Forrester Creations. Liam gives Hope a tribute to her fashion line. Brooke opens up to Donna. Quinn confronts Aly on the bridge. Ridge and Katie talk about the future. Brooke dwells on her predicament with Katie and Ridge. Eric makes a controversial company decision.
Coronation Street (CBC): Gary confronts Phelan.
Anna confesses to Izzy. Akbar decides not to hire Jason. Todd accuses Marcus of living a lie. Gary confronts Phelan. Katy sees a rash on Jake’s arm. Gary confesses to Owen. Dev’s birthday party is planned. Liz flirts with Tony. Maureen reports an attempted mugging. Eileen sees Liz and Tony sharing a drink. Own and Gary try contact Phelan.
Days of our Lives (NBC/Global): Will Sami help Abby take a pregnancy test?
Abigail doesn’t trust EJ. Eric makes a slip to Jennifer about Daniel’s lie. JJ tries to have a run-in with Paige. Has Jordan left Salem and Rafe? Don’t count on it! Watch out: Marlena’s call with Dr. Chyka could be cut short. While trying to evade Sami, EJ ends up stuck on a ledge. Jennifer receives a malicious piece of mail. Nick tells Will that he just wants to be liked. Daniel confronts Nicole.
General Hospital (ABC/City): Nik invites Liz to his engagement party.
Sonny watches as Michael visits with AJ. Britt tells Liesl that she’s engaged to Nikolas. Ric has an offer for Liz. Anna and Dante question more suspects about AJ’s shooting. Emma talks to Patrick about Robin. Nik invites Liz to his engagement party. Lulu dreams about Ben. Patrick tells Monica and Michael about AJ’s options. Sam believes she may have found a new suspect in Silas’ case as Donna Mills debuts on the Friday episode.
The Young and the Restless (CBS/Global): Victoria reaches a decision about her marriage.
Victor discovers important information about Phyllis. Christine witnesses another close moment between Paul and Nikki (oh Paul is so Dylan’s real dad). Sharon’s evening takes a shocking turn. Tensions rise between Lily and Hilary. Victor and Chelsea receive news about Adam. A surprise visitor at the penthouse shocks Chelsea. Kelly confronts Stitch. Victoria tells Billy that she’s reached a decision about their marriage. Look for Seattle Seahawks’ Michael Robinson to appear this week.